Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Song of the Summer!

You know how every year some smarty pants on NPR (or, someone who actually knows something about popular music on NPR) picks the song of the summer? I remember a couple of years ago it was that Gnarls Barkley song, something like that? I don't know what song NPR canonized this summer, maybe because my prime NPR listening minutes have been focused on a new station. Muriel is my carpool buddy (Naomi rides with her dad), and lately we have been spending a lot of time listening to this station, because it plays cool music and NO COMMERCIALS.

Muriel is not a talk radio person- she gets annoyed when the announcer comes on between songs. "I don't like this song!" is her mantra, always when there's talking, sometimes also when there's music. Anyway, so that's the scene- Muriel and I rolling toward toddler camp, blasting the radio. And somehow in the span of a week, we heard this song three or four times. It is a little dorky, but also kind of mesmerizing, and it really grew on me. More importantly, though, it grew on Muriel. She was singing along on the first listen.

She went home and started singing it to Naomi, who jumped right in and started singing along too (having never heard the actual song). I say singing, but really, it's more like chanting. There is nothing that Naomi and Muriel won't chant for an entire day. It messes with your sanity. Seriously, these girls should go straight to the sports venue of an under-cheered sports team and start things up. (Naomi actually spends a fair amount of time chanting "Who likes Muriel? I do, I do. Who likes Mommy? I do, I do." So she's all set for a very civilized sporting event of some kind.)

Before you start looking around for a phone number for CPS, I promise that they do not sing the "Gonna get a vodka soda with a lime" part- only the chorus. You push, I'll go. You push, I'll go. Over and over. Ha! We got our song. Somebody call NPR.

1 comment:

MT said...

I listened to your song today and liked it. It has a slightly 80s feel to it, or maybe that's just because I heard a John Hughes' music montage this morning, and everything sounds like it could have been in The Breakfast Club.