Friday, May 07, 2010

Found Some Flow!

Well, it has happened: Muriel and I have been invited to partake in a play date with Muriel's little classmate and... her nanny. Her mom is the one who has been trying to set it up. She contends that Muriel is her daughter's favorite at school, despite the fact that she refers to her as Mario. I don't know that we will be able to make it happen, though I do feel a little compelled to try to accept the formation of some friendships through (and for) Muriel, since it occurs to me that we are amassing quite a delightful group through Naomi (something I didn't really anticipate...). And perhaps the nanny too is a delightful person and we will get along famously. I don't know.

Anyway, I am already a week away from last weekend, and partway into the new one, but I am still going to look backward to report on the kinds of grownup play I cooked up for myself. First, Saturday was May Day, so there were some cheesy May Baskets (paper cones) with bouquets cobbled together from our front yard. The flowers included lilac and lavender, and as a result were spectacularly fragrant, if a little garish and raggedy. Also, I finally tried out our good friend's bread recipe, which is of the wait around a long time, but don't do much manual labor variety. It was about ten times better than the bagels- delicious!


Last but not least- the sewing! Hand sewing is not something I am very good at, but I am just going to have to come right out and admit that it is ridiculously fun and enjoyable. I had a project in mind for Mother's Day LAST YEAR, and bought the fabric and cut it up according to the pattern. I just never got around to actually sewing it. So last weekend, with only a few days before the mailing deadline, I started to crank out the little birds (resulting in a total of 6).

Although the sewing was fun and relatively easy, the attaching of the birds onto the sticks, and the balancing of the whole thing was well nigh impossible. Jim was a huge help, and deserves a medal for coaxing me to keep trying with the final construction when I was ready to quit (and had in fact announced it officially). Even finding a box to ship the thing in was a pain. Oh well. It's there now, so like it, Mom!


My kids, of course, have no trouble finding their flow. I was thinking I should post once with all the "Pretend..." statements that I hear one or the other of them make in a day or two, and of course immediately after I thought that, Naomi busted out with the longest ever "Pretend..." statement. It was something like, "Pretend we were mermaids, and our parents had died, and we were under the water, and you were there, and we said, what the? Who are you? And then you asked us if we would come and live with you because you loved us, but then you had to make a spot where the water wouldn't come out, so we could live there with you, so you did, and then we came to live with you?" (Um, and so on...) Here's the "somersault court" that Naomi and Muriel constructed. The double somersault is quite something.

No comments: