Friday, August 13, 2010

Slacker

OK, it's not that nothing has been happening. Well, OK, nothing has been happening. It's been vaguely summery, we've had some regular times. School has been attended. Work has been attended to. Maybe that's it- I've been working a lot, it seems like. So there, that's my excuse, no posting because of all the darn work!

Jim, on quite the other hand, has been enjoying his free time in a way that is of course enviable, but also, pretty nice for the rest of us. By this I mean that he hunts around for a recipe in the afternoon, buys the appropriate groceries, and when I get home (late), there is a fabulous dinner waiting. Seriously, this guy. What a cook! He is also getting better and better at "Starcraft," or whatever that game is called. Woot!

Muriel is going through a period of bed invasion. This happens occasionally, and it doesn't last forever, and a few gentle kicks to the back of the head is a small price to pay for a happy child, right? Last Saturday morning, all of us were crammed in together, and Muriel was expressing her discomfort thusly: "I'm all bunched up with people!" Yep, that is what happens!

Naomi is newly entranced with the idea of summer camp, thanks to a visit to Camp Kookooskoos in The Trumpet of the Swan. She has set up their "cabin" in the living room, and has shifted her pretend play to include summer camp tableaux. The pretending part hasn't changed- she still says, Mommy, pretend I was at summer camp, and you were the director of the summer camp and I was a camper, and Muriel was my kitty who came along with me (Muriel: mew!), and it was time for bed, and you said, all campers, time for bed, and I took my kitty (Muriel: mew mew!) and we got into the bunk.... and so on.

Next week I am taking OFF from work and I am so HAPPY that I am capslocking it up in here. My friend is coming from Boise with her two sons, and there will be much cavorting and sunscreen and water play and so forth. Pictures from that, to be sure. In the meantime, this is all I've got- the kids out with Dad on a stay-home-from-school-just-for-fun day. Looks like it worked!

No comments: