Friday, April 25, 2008

Shameless Plea for Money

Alright, people, I am going to make this short. On May 4th, Naomi and I are going to trek four miles through beautiful, non-hunger-plagued, waterfront Kirkland to raise money as part of the CROP Walk. This is an annual event that raises money for the Church World Service. The money goes to help hungry people, poor people, refugees, people who have lost their homes in emergencies. 25% of the money stays here, to help hungry people on the Eastside, which for you out of towners is what they call those of us who look west across Lake Washington to Seattle.

The slogan of the walk, "We walk because they walk," refers to the fact that so many people in the world have to walk MILES every day (and not along the tony Kirkland waterfront) just to get clean(ish) water. Food, too. 

I am late to the fundraising party, so I am throwing it out to the universe (uh, you guys) to scrape some coin together to preserve my street cred at church. Which is not only a lame joke, it's really a joke, because I have no cred whatsoever at church. But if you have five or ten bucks burning a hole in your pocket, and your pocket also has a credit card, please consider following this link to my fundraising page, and doing a bit (a bit more than you unquestionably already do, I acknowledge) for the less fortunate. Thank you, and I will not bug you for money again until next year, if then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have fun and I hope the weather is nice for your walk --is it appropriate to hope that your charity work goes smoothly? Of course I a little embarassed that Naomi is already more charitable than a certain lazy person in Las Vegas....