Thursday, September 18, 2008

Autumn Moon Festival

I seem to be moving in slow motion lately, which is why a post about what went down on Saturday (almost a week ago) still seems new on the following Thursday. Really, tonight's event, the preschool potluck, is worth a post, but if I went that route, I'd have to reveal the sad, bumbling couple of days I had endeavoring to bring a homemade treat for this thing, including such details as my inability to properly soften shortening, and the fact that our flour has BUGS in it. Ew. Anyway, the potluck was fun, albeit not so much nourishing. Naomi was a bit of a maniac, Muriel walked around waving at everyone, no one really ate enough food. It was alright.

But better than alright, if I may say, was this thing last Saturday. We had our dear friends over to celebrate the Autumn Moon Festival with us. Before they came, Naomi and I made some paper lanterns. They were nothing like the amazing chicken-shaped lanterns Jim got to tote around when he was a lad, but they were lantern-esque, and since there was no way any of the kids were getting anything with fire inside of it, they were, to quote a hilarious restaurant review that is rather un-self-consciously framed at my friend's neighborhood Mexican place, "delightfully adequate." In addition to the paper crafts, Jim and I put together a Chinese feast, which I only say because I succeeded in making, all on my own and for the very first time, sticky rice. I don't like to brag, but Damn! Sticky rice! We also had chicken wings a la Khooler, broccoli with Chinese sausage, and this kind of steamed eggplant that Jim's mom showed me how to make (it was not as good as hers, but it was still pretty good).

The moon festival has a couple of wacky legends associated with it. I chose one to tell the girls, about when all ten suns, normally taking their turn, suddenly showed up all at once, scorching the earth, and then were shot down (or, nine of them were) by this superhuman archer. I forget his name already. He found the elixir of life, but he was tyranical, and his beautiful wife drank it to spare the people of the world an eternity of rule by a tyranical archer. Then someone, the fates? made her go live in the moon. Her name I remember; it's Chang Er. And the lanterns are for her? I guess? Yeah, I am a poseur. Whiter than sticky rice. Oh well.

After the strange legend part, the girls did their lantern parade, and those of us with a sophisticated palate enjoyed some moon cakes, and those of us without (me!) enjoyed some pineapple. Then Chang Er's big round white estate made its appearance. Thanks, Chang Er!

And now, the photos:

The girls weren't sure at first what to do with their lanterns, but neither were we, really. Should we write a Moon Festival marching song? Lyric contest begins now.

Lanterns lanterns lanterns! And Muriel eating sidewalk chalk!

Our little friend, who is only a few months older than Muriel, showed up looking two and a half somehow. Must be the ponies.

Once she gets something, she gets it. And that is a big bite of mooncake in her mitt.

I've had a lot of requests from the ladies to include Jim in some pictures, so, here he is. Looking good!

Another gratuitous shot, this one of Luna looking gorgeous... must have been good light that evening.

I like this one, and especially because Muriel is still fixated on the moon over our house.

And because who knows when I will post again, let me take this chance to send a big shout-out to the newest member of the Daddytude clan. Welcome Baby David, and good job, Tudes!

1 comment:

MT said...

Thanks for the shout out on such a fun post, Lady Khool! I am truly impressed that with all the hecticness at your work, you and Jim had the energy to put together this great party. Though I am too white to even appreciate the sticky rice task...
-mommytude