Saturday, September 27, 2008

Now, wait just a minute...

It is not that easy to come up with new and interesting lunches every day, for two little girls who may or may not even eat them. At Muriel's school, they throw away whatever she doesn't eat. So who knows what she's eating? In the case of Naomi, I know exactly what she is eating. Because they send whatever she hasn't eaten right back home in her lunch box. Often, pretty gross.

One of my less-inspired fall backs is whole wheat Ritz crackers, and the other day I sent some with Naomi's lunch that contained peanut butter and jelly. When she got home, we did the usual fruitless interrogation about her day (never successful), but when we go to the subject of lunch, she lit up a little bit.

"Miss E. put peanut butter and jelly on my round crackers, and I ate them all up!"

What now?

"You sent plain round crackers in my lunch, and Miss E. put peanut butter and jelly on them, and they were really good, and I ate them all!"

So what is the weird part of this story- that somehow Naomi got the idea that her teacher has been tampering with her lunch, as a favor to her? Or that I am so incensed that, having finally scored a hit in the lunch bag, I am not getting any credit for it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about the fact that given a choice between believing that her yummy lunch that she gobbled up was prepared by her loving mommy or her day care provider, she didn't automatically believe it was mommy?

Anonymous said...

I'd be annoyed, too!
If it's any comfort, Ms. Khooler, I've always liked your meals ;)

chou/hsuan said...

That is HILARIOUS! And, yes, as with Blythe, your cooking has always been tasty. Esp Hot Pot!