Saturday, March 13, 2010

Thirty-Two Oh Five

This morning Jim and I got up and dragged the children over to the local health club, where the first annual St. Paddy's Day 5k got underway at 8:15. The kids stayed at the "child care" facility at the club, at which, we discovered, $5/hour for two kids (and a not-really changed dirty diaper) later, you kind of get what you pay for. Oh well. Also, what gives with the St. Patrick's Day-related fun runs? What is it about St. Patrick's Day that makes people want to run five kilometers?

The point is, Jim and I ran a 5k this morning, and it was great. The weather, threatening showers, turned out to be sunny and clear and cool- just perfect. We puffed a little going up a particularly steep and long hill (probably neither, just seemed like it), but overall we did fine, and when the timekeeper read our time out loud (32 minutes, 5 seconds for me, 2 seconds later for Jim), I was pleasantly surprised. I assumed my pace would be around the 12 minute miles I can comfortably and pokily sustain on my occasional treadmill runs. So, yea!

After the run, we came home, and Naomi suggested she and Muriel should have a snack on the front patio, because it was just so "gorgeous." Hee. I couldn't argue with that. We went to brunch at our friends' house- a pair who met when she was teaching English in Turkey and he was just... in Turkey. So the brunch involved feta-inclusive brunch treats and Turkish tea. Mmmm. And the kids enjoyed playing with their adorable son (Naomi's age), but especially their older daughter, who is eight, and a sweet enough girl to make time to play with two little chicks who are much younger than her. It was a long, luxurious, very delicious brunch; I am almost worried we overstayed our welcome.

Our afternoon was actually kind of short after that. At dinner time, our friend and babysitting swapper came by, and Jim and I headed to Seattle for dinner. It was another long, luxurious meal, with a brief and wonderful interruption when an old friend stopped by the restaurant to show off his super duper cute 7-month-old daughter. Salt cod fritters, squid kebab, lamb, moussaka, and coconut cream pie. And now it is too late, and we have to spring forward, and I have to be awake and ready to teach Sunday school in a scant few hours, so I cannot even properly end this post. But thank you, Saturday, for being so delightful. The end.

1 comment:

MT said...

congrats on being fit and speedier than you expected!