Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Another Month, Another Resolution....

I just know you have been anxiously awaiting news of how my March new month resolutions turned out. Turns out they turned out OK. The resolutions were... 1. Exercise for 30 minutes every day, and 2. Get three servings of vegetables every day. I was not as completely successful with these as I was with my don't buy anything new January or blog every day February. I would say there were probably 4 days (maybe 5) where I didn't exercise for 30 minutes. The veggie thing went a little better- there may have been a day or two where I was at 2-2 1/2 servings instead of three.

My main problems with exercising are... (I am noticing a numbers theme here...) 1. I have a job. 2. I love to sleep. And on that second point, I don't love sleep before I fall asleep (as Jim does, when he is on the couch, if sleep is anywhere near him, he embraces it immediately and irrevocably), meaning, I am just as willing to waste hours in the evening before getting myself to bed. No, I love love love sleep while I am doing it. Which means, when morning rolls around, the time when I was to be getting up to do my thirty minutes of exercise, all of my body and 75-80% of my brain are completely unwilling. On weekends, I really like to exercise- mid morning, in the afternoon. I am not groggy, I am ready to go. But first thing in the morning, ug. Even though, of course, it's the best time. If I exercise in the morning, right around 10 am, when I'm sitting at my desk, I notice that really good feeling. Hooray! But it's so hard to get out of bed!

The vegetable resolution has me feeling a little sheepish, because I realized that I really haven't been eating enough of them. It's easy to eat enough fruit, because you can buy it, transport it, have it on hand, and eat it quite easily. No prep required. I have a couple of apples sitting on my shelf at work. But even if you are going to eat fresh veggies, you have to do some preparation (though it does make me smile to imagine myself eating a broccoli head "out of hand"). I didn't rely on V8 more than a couple of days, I'm proud to say, though it is true that many baby carrots were harmed in the realization of this resolution. It was good to have a motivation to choose salad when I did eat out, or the vegetable sandwich. And I discovered that the good people at the Thai place at the mall food court we frequent will add extra broccoli to the pad see yew for a dollar.

I am going to try a little harder to make these two stick. The first two months were experiments, this last month has been a real effort to change my habits. I read an article recently that said just eating 2 1/2 servings of vegetables per day makes you healthier. (It was more specific than that- can't remember the details- helps prevent cancer, maybe?) I can manage 2 1/2. This month I'm adding another sort of "duh" nutritional resolution- getting three servings of dairy per day. Should be easy enough. I have already imposed a big gallon of milk on the super crowded shared work fridge.

The milk by itself doesn't seem like enough of a new month resolution. I am working on a few others...have to pick one soon if it's going to be a daily thing. Right now I'm leaning toward going a whole month without yelling at Naomi for her many prolonged lollygags, messes, water wastings, and so forth during her nightly toothbrushing time. It's weird that something so mundane makes me lose it so frequently. Yeah, that's as good a resolution as any, and hopefully will provide some zen Mommy ripples to the rest of my parental interactions...

OK, so three servings of dairy and zero servings of bedtime meanie. Done and done.

3 comments:

MT said...

I'm impressed with the results of your March goals! You must have lost weight with all that exercise and veggies. Now you can eat ice cream during April (it's a dairy) and not feel guilty. :)

MT said...

Even though I already commented, I want to ask: why the dairy focus? I stopped focusing on dairy after I read that you can't affect your likelihood of osteoporosis after you are 30 or something. But you always have good health info...Maria's class recently had a "calcium lesson" and she brought home a little worksheet that advised her to eat more ice cream as an excellent source of calcium. Seriously -- it was the second item listed: milk, ice cream, cheese.

J Khooler said...

So, the way I understand the age 30 thing is that you stop building bone density after thirty, but you still need calcium, because if you don't get enough, the other functions in your body that require calcium will pull it from your bones, increasing your osteoporosis chances. Also, skim milk has vitamin D, which the news loves to tell us we are all chronically lacking, and since I'm not getting it from old Sol, courtesy of the NW cloud cover, I must rely on the nice people who add it to milk.

Even after that Dr. Khooler mini-lecture on nutrition, I'm still laughing at your allegation that I have good health info. Ha! Though I know better than to "recommend" ice cream to children. Though I have been known to take that treatment myself once in a while...