Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Be Yourself

This is a random spot for this anecdote, but what the heck. In a recent training at work, I took a Myers Briggs personality type assessment, and although it was revealing, certainly, it kind of bummed me out a little. They write the type summaries like the most gentle and loving of horoscopes, of course, but it was hard not to read between the lines. My type is NOT creative, NOT spontaneous, NOT insightful. I don't like to endlessly puzzle over things to come to the most innovative or interesting solution. I LOVE to have a decision made, past tense.

Also at play in this source for musing is the book I'm reading, The Happiness Project. In her quest to systematically make herself happier (and write a book about it), the author discovers that you really do need to just be yourself. You can choose what you do (it goes something like this), but you can't choose what you like to do. So quit pretending you like to see art movies, or watch football games, and do something you actually like instead.

The sum of these two inputs, for me, is that I feel a little trapped in myself. I want to be a creative problem solver! I want to have intuition about things! The point, of course, is to learn to accept what you have been given, rather than glumly bemoaning the fact that you are not more intuitive and creative. I will endeavor to celebrate my mind-made-upedness, my straightforward data gatheringness, and so forth (short-cuttingness!).

2 comments:

MT said...

Hold it right there! Why accept the conclusions of a Myers-Briggs test, when they contradict all other evidence of your creativity?? See, for example, this blog, your homemade valentines dolls. And for intuition, what about your knack for choosing great gifts. I agree that you need to just BE KHOOLER, but I don't think you need to just be the khooler that the MB test thinks you are!
-liz

J Khooler said...

Aw, Liz, you are so nice. I have not signed my life over to the MB test results, it's just that a few things about it were so right on, I am feeling like someone who now believes in psychics after a good reading. And maybe occasionally wanting to be something I'm not is really how I am? So I can Be Khooler by wondering what else to try/be. One micro version of this is how many movies we send back to Netflix without watching them. Ha!