Thursday, February 18, 2010

What's (Not) Cooking

Alright, here's my recipe for dessert:


Ingredients:

1 graham cracker
1 spread of "Decadent Fudge Sauce"
1 squirt of Reddi Whip

My parents sent us a gourmet gift basket for Christmas, or New Year's, I guess, this year, and one of the treats was a jar of decadent fudge sauce, which is really only sauce if you heat it up. When it sits in the fridge, it is spread. Or, decadent fudge spread.

Anyway, this weekend is February's dinner for the Tent City (provided by the people at our church). I signed up to bring a salad, and the woman actually asked me if I would make potato salad. It was pretty recently that I admitted to myself that I can't make decent potato salad (how hard is it? But I have never made good potato salad). So I counter-offered slaw. And that is how I found myself in the kitchen tonight, with the food processor and a head of cabbage. The machine works great on cabbage and pretty well on celery, but green peppers do not love the shredding blade, and I am not even sure where the scallions went. Oh well.

It's a recipe my mom used to make once in a while, sometimes if my dad had a potluck at work. It makes a lot, that's why I thought of it. And I remember that she would store it in one of those giant glass pickle jars, later to be known as sun tea jars. Also, I remember not liking it, when I was a kid, but really, what kid likes cole slaw? The dressing is sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, celery salt, garlic salt, and salt. I left out most of the plain salt, because three teaspoons of salt in any recipe, even if two of them have prefixes and are not just straight up salt, seems like too much salt.

Anyway, with the word "Overnight" in the name of the recipe, I have to assume that I can't really judge it until tomorrow. I'll let you know how it comes out.


Slaw for the homeless! I hope it's good.

No comments: