Thursday, February 25, 2010

Not Quite By The Numbers

I was going to do a by-the-numbers post, but the only ones I could come up with were:

5: Number of samples I got during my Costco lunch outing. Sourdough bread, pancake, cheese on cracker, chicken chimichanga, chocolate. Stupid bread and pancake for messing up my alliteration.

30: Number of minutes later that I finally responded to an instant message from my boss sent while I was at Costco. Oops.

Oh well. Tonight Naomi and I put together her "goody bags" for her school chums. I was going to say I exercised considerable restraint in the goody selection, but that is only half-true, since in fact I am a cheapskate. That makes it easier to not go overboard. The whole tradition is so fraught, like so many parenting things, because I find goody bags to be extremely problematic (as does, I am sure, the garbage patch in the Pacific ocean), yet I don't want my kid to be disappointed. I should put a little more effort into working this one out, instead of just going with the flow.

Anyway, tonight when we were packing the bags, she worked out a system where she set out three sets of goodies, then got three bags, and packed them up. I gave absolutely no direction on this, she just did this because that is the way her awesome, systematic little mind works. I love it.

Tomorrow, she will be wearing her flower girl power dress to school to hand out the goodies. Ah, to be a fly on the wall, with a camcorder. Tomorrow night, the grandparents arrive. I am researching pork roast crock pot recipes and wondering what else I can manage to clean before they show up. We'll see!

No comments: