Friday, February 26, 2010

More Visitors Have Arrived!

I don't know whether to make this cooking focused or child focus or visitor focused. What I know for sure is that it is late and I am sleepy, and this is likely to be not a bit focused as a result. OK, so I worked from home today, and took advantage of this fact to make a pork roast in the crock pot. I have never done this before, and have in fact never cooked a pork roast at all before. But the recipe was super simple (except I did have to go to the store- can you believe I didn't have a jar of apple jelly in the pantry?).

Also, let's say, over lunch hour, I made oatmeal cookies. I never remember to remove the butter from the fridge with enough lead time to have it be all perfectly softened when it's time to make the dough, so I checked with my friend the Internet, and sure enough, lots and lots of people want to tell me what to do about it. I tried one idea on the first stick- rolling it between wax paper with a rolling pin. It was tremendously unsuccessful. The other idea was to grate it like cheese, which I did, except that it kind of went all over the place, and unlike grated cheese, you can't just pick it up and move it around without getting a bit buttery. Of the two, I'd say the grating method is better.

Anyway, my parents' plane was a bit late, and we held dinner for them, so by the time they arrived, it was past bedtime. The girls were Super Kooky, especially Muriel, who could not stop narrating and making dramatic faces. They both did the kind of easily lampooned "look what I can do!" kid behavior. My parents were amused and overwhelmed, I think. For two small granddaughters, they can really make some noise.

Anyway again, the pork was pretty tasty. The cookies were pretty tasty. I'm pretty sleepy. Happy Weekend, friends!

No comments: