Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Honeymooners

We have been trying to do a better job of using our health club/pool membership, and have been heading over of a Sunday afternoon for a swim. They don't usually last long, as even in the temperate heat of the new natatorium (isn't that a fun word?), little zero percent body fat Muriel gets the quivering blue lip malady after about thirty five minutes. It's fun, though, and Naomi is getting braver with every swim (she hasn't had lessons yet- I think this is the year to start).

Anyway, we were in the tiled hallway outside of the family changing rooms, and I pulled my jeans out of a cubby. My necklace was in the pocket, and it fell out, landed on the hard tile, and shattered. No no no! This was the necklace that Jim bought for me on our honeymoon in Italy. It was glass, a little picture of a tree in a gold ring. I loved it, and I wore it probably three or four days a week. I am genuinely sad about breaking it.

But it did get me thinking about our honeymoon. We couldn't go right after we got married because of some idiotic passport nonsense with a certain country that will remain nameless. So we didn't have our honeymoon until almost a year later. By that time I was already in a family way, which means I didn't get to enjoy the vino, and theoretically wasn't supposed to eat the charcuterie either, but I did bend the rules on that one a little (and on the tiramisu...). And what we lacked in vino, we made up for in gelato. Mmmm.

Anyway, here's a few time travel photos back to 2004...

This is the bridge in Florence where Jim bought me the necklace. Awww.

In Venice Jim went out before sunrise to take some pictures from the water bus. I don't think I went along. This is not the water bus trip where we got cited for not having a current ticket, and had to pay a huge bunch of euros. Grr. It was also not the water bus that we were on when I felt Naomi move for the first time ever. Lots going on in the Venice water bus...

I will never forgive myself for not buying my friend this "hot priests" calendar they were selling at a newsstand in the Rome train station. Sorry!

Ah, carefree travel. See you in retirement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still dream that someday you'll be shopping at Crossroads or whatever, and will come across a "handsome priest" calendar and snap it up.

MT said...

I am sorry to hear about your tree necklace. I know exactly the one you mean and it was lovely. -liz