Thursday, February 19, 2009

Oh, for Pete's Sake

The last time I had Muriel in for a regular checkup, she had infected ears (of course), but not terribly so, and our beloved regular doctor told me that we should monitor her, and if she seemed worse, get her ears looked at again and maybe go for some antibiotics. We did, she didn't, we didn't.

When Muriel woke up in the middle of the night last night, feverish and miserable, after a week of low-grade cold symptoms, it occurred to me that maybe it would be good to keep her home from school and take her in to get her ears checked, as our doctor is constantly advising us to do. I know I have written before about how normally I wait too long to take my sick kids to the doctor, such that when I get there the doctor gives me signs to look for that will mean I have to rush them across the big lake to the Children's Hospital. So this time, I decided to be a little more proactive.

Except that of course we didn't get our regular doctor, we got whatever doctor they had. And he looked in her ears and told me that she had a little fluid, which is consistent with having a cold. He said that if she had an ear infection, she would be waking up at all hours, miserable, etc. He didn't come out and say, seriously, why did you bring this perky, happy little child in to the doctor's office (she was busying around with the books, evincing not a trace of illness, naturally)? But it was hanging there in the air.

But! But! I am not the parent that brings a kid in for nothing! I have had ear infected kids! They don't always tug on their ears or say, ow, my ears, or wake up in the night crying from it. Both kids are champs at getting infected ears and just keeping mum. At which point, of course, the infection spreads to their lungs and the doctor instructs me to watch how their chest moves when they breathe to make sure they do not need to be rushed straight to the hospital. Wait, I already said that!

I know a lot of people would have plenty to criticize in the way I parent my kids. They are likely right about many things. And about others? Different strokes for different folks. It doesn't really bother me. But there is something about a doctor's opinion that gets to me, effortlessly. I wonder if it will be this way with teachers, too? I guess I am susceptible to authority figures?

This does reinforce for me that our regular doctor is as good as we think she is. Unfortunately, everyone else thinks so too, and getting an appointment with her is well-nigh impossible. I guess I'll have to start predicting illnesses months in advance...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry the doc made you feel bad, Ms. Khooler. I think you made the right move by going in! Better to have Muriel checked out than to not go in and regret it later.