Sunday, February 08, 2009

In Which We Fight Our Natural Inclinations in the Interest of Parenting, like every other single day

Stupid Jane Austen Masterpiece Theater movies! Always coming on when I have other things to focus on, like my as-yet entirely unformed blog entry. Drat! Doesn't matter that I have seen this version of "Sense and Sensibility" three or four times- I still can't resist it. gaaaah.

This morning, caught in the creative throes of making valentines (which I would have liked to just post a picture of- they were pretty cool, maybe I will still), Naomi declared that she wanted to skip church. My heart leaped a little. Yea! My embarrassing admission: we really like to skip church. But we don't really do it anymore, or rarely do. Which leads me to another, less embarrassing admission, and one that I perhaps should have included in my Facebook 25 random things list (and even that clause has now become an embarrassing admission, considering the amount of scornful press that meme is getting, prominently featuring the word "narcissistic," though, I am writing this in a blog about myself, so, get over it, already, Khooler....): I am a Sunday school teacher. So far, actually, just an assistant Sunday school teacher; I don't lead the lessons, I just serve the snack and chase after the one kid who doesn't dig the mainstream or whatever. Next Sunday I have to be the leader, which means coming up with supplies and getting the activities going and the whole bit. Dread! I mean, Excitement!

So, right, we are now on the hook to go to church more often. And because I miss the sermon on the days we HAVE to be there, I actually kind of want to get back into the pew and hear a little sermonizing on the days I have off from the gig I have weirdly found myself in. Most importantly, of course, is that we would be foolish parents indeed to introduce to Naomi and Muriel our resurgent life philosophy of lazy half-way action. Not that they haven't met it, but you know, church is hardly the thing to treat as a when-convenient occurrence.

I wasn't at Sunday school, but they talked about the Good Samaritan, and role played (yeah!), and Naomi got to pretend she was injured (hence the sweet Cinderella band-aid she was wearing when church was over) and no one would stop to help. Which reminds me that she is convinced that she should be making valentines for sick people, or people in wheelchairs or something (?), and I have to think that was from a lesson at Sunday school too. Hee.

So anyway, the sermon today was something like...maybe you should stop answering the phone and turn off the computer and stop checking your facebook and just be willing to hear whatever other kind of call might be coming for you. Once in a while. This of course is in direct conflict with my new month resolution. There's always next month, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

after you have chased lady luck and finally struck Bonanza... well, there is really only so far that you can go and I think sunday schoold teachr is simply fabulous.

Anonymous said...

"sunday school teacher"

because on some land you will put your brand and maybe Carthright would be a good one... Foutune may even smile on the day you place your brand....