Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thursday Night, That's All

First of all let me say that Jim's sister in Singapore sent him (and Naomi, but don't tell her) a cake for his birthday. She wired him a cake. Actually, she found a bakery on the internet, and then emailed me, and I picked up the cake. But still, a cake all the way from Singapore! I sneaked out to pick it up on his birthday- I happened to know the bakery because it was in my beloved shopping plaza across the street from my beloved old office building. Sigh. So yeah, it was a white chocolate cheesecake, which had me a little skeptical at first, but since we have been slowly and methodically eating our way through it over the course of the week, I feel I can say with relative certainty that only a fool would turn down a white chocolate cheesecake from Hoffman's Fine Pastries. It is so good. I just had a sliver, because it is my nightly ritual now and I can't escape it. In celebration of Jim's birthday, I will gain four pounds! Excellent!

Second, I have completely sold my soul to whomever buys you out on the issue of caving to peer pressure regarding the right way to celebrate the birthdays of small children who attend pre-school. By which I mean I have just wasted forty minutes and the last of my margarita buzz stuffing cellophane bags with "goodies" for Naomi's classmates. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the novelty pencils with decorative eraser toppers I could find tend more girly, so hopefully only a small majority of the boys in the class have staked their claim on the island of unswerving gender identification. I mean, butterflies don't have an inherent quality of girliness, just because they're pretty, right? Right? Also, I didn't buy enough bags, so I had to add in four extras I found in the basement, which might be from...my wedding?

Here's what you would get if you were a classmate of Naomi's and showed up to school tomorrow: pencil, with novelty eraser topper, two Hershey's dark chocolate kisses (which are against code- not supposed to include food, but I am desperate for some filler) (also, dark only because I thought Naomi would like the purple foil wrappers), a small strip of smiley stickers in neon colors, and a tube of glitter glue.

Can you believe we're almost to the end of the once a day blog posting? Whew! Sighs of relief all around! In the meantime, see you tomorrow...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am horrified to realize that I just spent the entire evening with you, discussing the contents of these bags, which are for Naomi's birthday, which is the same day as Sochi's birthday and NEVER ONCE did it cross my mind that perhaps I should have baked some cupcakes or done SOMETHING to acknowledge the big day tomorrow. Oh, well. There's always Monday.

Anonymous said...

I, on the other hand, am not horrified, but quite confused. Your goodie bags sound quite festive--sure would perk up my Friday!But. . .If it's Naomi's birthday, why are you making things to take to give to her pre-school classmates? If there's any partying at pre-school, shouldn't they be doing the prep work and surprising her with the cupcakes or whatnot? Please explain. And how does one learn all of these preschool etiquette rules? I sure hope there's a primer somewhere because I wouldn't have a clue!

J Khooler said...

Even when I was in school, a hundred years ago, it was always on the kid's mom if there was to be any kind of cupcake or treat action. I didn't go to preschool, but I imagine it was similar even there. The new deal is that kids have allergies and diabetes and eat gluten free diets; pretty much any food item you bring in is bound to exclude someone, so Naomi's school stipulates a no-food birthday treats policy. Hence, goodie bags...

The way to learn the preschool etiquette is just to have your kid in the school for a while before you have to be responsible for anything. Or just tell the kid their birthday is on Saturday... :)