Thursday, February 16, 2012

Cultural Night!

I am so sleepy I can barely hold my head up, so please do not hold me to my usual extremely low standard. Tonight was cultural night at Naomi's school, and it was so fantastic. There was a show! Last year I was a bit grumpy that our local school was a school that wasn't going to put on a show every year (talent show doesn't count), and then this year, lo and behold- a show. There was a narrative frame about traveling around the world by way of the universal language. (Hint: it's music.) The entire student body, wearing white shirts and blue jeans (or if you are my kid, jeggings, because heaven forfend that you would ever wear a non-legging pant in your entire first grade year) and additional costumey props, was up at the front of the gymnateria, singing songs from around the world. Long, beautiful songs, accompanied by complex, fun to watch dance moves. Naomi and her peeps sang first, with the Kindergartners as well. It was an African welcome song. The kids danced and sang so well. I was practically in tears the whole time (which was a little embarrassing). Not just for my kid's song, I hasten to add.

I should add that Muriel was wearing a new set of Chinesey clothes (shirt and pants) and she looked like a million dollars. I should also take this opportunity to confess that I completely spaced the part where I have to REGISTER HER FOR KINDERGARTEN. Here is how badly I spaced it. Every day for a week or two I walked right through a door at school to pick up Naomi from her after school program, and saw a flier for Kindergarten registration night, and EVERY time I thought to myself, aw, cute! New little Kindergarteners! And not once did I think, I have one of those! This should reassure any doubters that two is the right number of kids for us. If I had any more I would be leaving them here and there.

No comments: