Thursday, February 02, 2012

Privacy

I just got home from a PTA meeting. It was OK- more interesting to me than the last one. I was starving, so the free pizza was extra delicious. I was flummoxed as usual by how they all seem to know all the rules you have to follow in order to do anything. I have a lot to learn.

One of my roles at the PTA is that I am a "rep" to the local foundation that raises money to plug "funding gaps" for the school district. Ah, air quotes, going from air back to actual printed words. Anyway, I actually prepared for once and blathered on to the other attendees about all the good work that the foundation does. Plugging gaps!

Anyway, they (the foundation) have a FB page. Our PTA has a FB page. One other organization that came and blathered a lot more than I did has a FB page. When I got home I tried to explain to Jim why some part of me wants to get an alter ego FB account, because then I would feel more comfortable engaging with all these other FB entities, without having to expose my own real life to a bunch of people I don't know well. He said, what are you posting to FB?!

But that isn't it. I just want to be able to learn and connect and all that, without thinking twice about posting photos of my kids napping on the Ikea showbed. And yet, someone who played saxophone in the band who I barely knew and never speak to, virtually or otherwise, needs to see those photos, while the nice moms of the PTA get my as yet nonexistent secondary slightly fake self? I need to think about this one a little more. Or read up on the privacy settings.

No comments: