Friday, February 17, 2012

End Petlessness

We spent the last New Years Eve (and surrounding weekend) in Portland. It was fun- we rode the light rail, visited the children's museum, saw the OMSI, went to Powells, and had a number of free drinks at the manager's reception at our hotel.

Just as an aside, I am watching a Pink Panther movie on the crappy old movie channel (does anyone else get this channel? It's the second digital channel of...ABC? CBS?), and Patsy from Ab Fab is playing a newscaster. As an aside from my aside, the commercials that air on this channel are targeted toward two groups, old people, and jobless people who either need vocational training or need to collect some lawsuit money. Lots of "I've fallen and I can't get up" type commercials, prostate health supplements, lawyers with very specific case pitches, and cooking schools.

Anyway, while we were in Portland, I noticed several awesome billboards from the Oregon Humane Society sporting the "End Petlessness" slogans. And this is the year that we end our petlessness. The problem is, our neighbors are still working away on their home renovation project, and we are still without a fence. I have this idea that a fence is a prerequisite for bringing home a pooch. So, we wait.

But! Today when I picked up Naomi, she told me she had an important secret. She is, wait for it, next week's star student! Every week some kid is the star student, and they bring in their favorite book and toy, and ten favorite photos, and fill out a questionnaire about themselves. One of the questions is: "For a pet I have..." There was a minute or two where we all reflected on the inappropriateness of mentioning Luna, but in a jokey way (really). I guess we're all better. And there was some clamor that we would need to acquire a pet before the star student week kicked off (we have an extra week thanks to some newfangled invention called "winter break"). But as committed as I am to ending petlessness, I think I'm going to have to hold out for a fence.

No comments: